Monday, April 21, 2014

Interview

    I could not find anyone to interview in this culture, however, I did find articles with quotes that women had said. I will talk about the life of a Maasai women and what they must go through.
    In order for a women to get married, she must get a circumcision. During this ceremony, it would be done by an untrained Maasai member with sharp tools, such as knifes. This procedure is so dangerous for women and leads to many health problems since it is unprofessional. It also had psychological effects on the women who were circumcised.
    There was an end to this ceremony, and it is now illegal but still done around the world. Many of the Maasai people did not accept this. The women who were not circumcised were not accepted in the community and were thought to be unsuitable for marriage. Even though it is against the law, it is still happening, and women are dying from it.
    One women who was circumcised said, "I felt tricked. I was told I was going to be a complete women and then I found out they actually made me incomplete. I am now missing something important- my womanhood." It is not fair that some women still have to go through this. Another women said. " I was told by my family that I could not be a complete woman until my male part was cut off." With these ideas being put into young women's head, it could cause them to be seriously ill, or they could even die.











No comments:

Post a Comment